COMMUNITY EVENT CALENDAR
Click on an event to download and print flyers
E-Mail your event info/flyer to email@example.com to have your event posted here
- This event has passed.
Anishinaabe Cultural Reclamation Presentation
February 27, 2019 @ 5:30 PM - 7:00 PM
Leech Lake Early Childhood Program
Anishinaabe Cultural Reclamation Presentations
We believe and maintain that recognizing past trauma and success have a lasting effect on our lives today as Anishinaabe people. We remain who we were meant to be in the light of historical events and the struggle to maintain ourselves. We are beginning to awaken to recovery from the many symptoms of trauma survival. (Drugs and alcohol, physical and emotional abuse, physical sickness, poverty, grief, family disruption, to name a few.) We recognize that returning to our original teachings is of paramount importance in order to regain our true Anishinaabe selves.
Come join a discussion to gain and share deeper understandings of Anishinaabe Cultural practices that can provide a platform on which to build a healthier future. Possible discussions include:
- Creation Teachings – Where do we come from according to our ancestors? This is our history.
- Why Tobacco? – What really happens when we use tobacco? How does it differ from our modern idea of “prayer”?
- What are the 7 directions – Why is this understanding important and how does it matter in modern life?
- The elements- Recognizing the some of the gifts we benefit from in the natural world.
- Reclaiming family – How families functioned before invasion and how we function today.
- What is Anishinaabe manner – What are social norms of past and how do they look now.
- Everyday medicines – Medicine that was common knowledge in the past.
- Rituals and ceremonies – What are they, and what is their purpose, how to access them when needed.
- Pipe teachings – What are pipes, who carries them and why?
- History from the Anishinaabe perspective. – What are the important events in history from an Anishinaabe perspective? How did we get to where we are today?
Date and Time: February 27, 2019
5:30 – 7:00 pm
Location: Cass Lake AOB Early Childhood Center
Presenter: Naabek (Adrian Liberty)
For more information – please contact Waase Paulson 218-335-8345.