To have your event listed here, please send an email to [email protected] with flyer and all info included.
Open to LLBO Programs and Community Organizations!
- This event has passed.
Corn and Her Siblings- A Three Sisters Garden presentation
April 30, 2022 @ 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Corn and Her Siblings*
A Three Sisters Garden presentation
Onigum Community Center, in the Elder’s Room
Saturday, April 30th, 1pm-3pm
Kathy Connell will share her experience growing a Three Sisters Garden for the past 15 years. She will share what she has learned including:
- How the three plants help each other and us
- How she developed her own strain of corn that grows well in this area and produces a fine soft gluten-free corn flour
- What type of bean works well
- Squash that keeps usable right on your kitchen counter winter thru April
- How to plant the seeds, so they help each other grow
- How to collect seeds from the plants for the next season’s garden
- How to store and use what is grown
Kathy will bring her mill and grind some of the corn she has grown, make fresh hot corncakes to taste, sprinkled with some of Polly Bedeau’s freshly made Onigum maple sugar.
Kathy has graciously shared corn, bean and squash seeds we will use to grow a Three Sister’s Garden section in our Onigum Community Garden this year.
*first of a series of Onigum Community Healing Garden presentations
Supported in part by Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe’s Beshigo Asemaa Program & MDH