The MN Chippewa Tribe has posted the General Election Notice for the Leech Lake Reservation. The 2018 General Election will be held on June 12, 2018 with polls open from 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM. This election will see the top two vote getters from April’s Primary Election face off to fill seats on the Leech Lake Tribal Council, including Secretary-Treasurer, District I Representative and District II Representative.
Absentee Voting Information
In order to receive an absentee ballot, voters can fill out an absentee ballot request card provided by a candidate or submit a written request to the Election Board at LLBO Election Board, 115 6th St Ste E, Cass Lake MN 56633. Written requests MUST contain the following information:
- Full Name
- Mailing Address
- Physical Address (if different)
- Date of Birth
- Voting District
- A District must be declared on your request in order to receive an absentee ballot, failure to provide one will lead to significant delays
- District cannot be changed without establishing residency (see “Establishing Residency” below)
- Out of State voters who have not declared a district in a previous election shall declare a district to vote in
- Out of State voters are not eligible to select a new district if they have chosen one previously without meeting the residency requirements outlined below
Voters can also cast an absentee ballot in person by visiting the Election Board offices in Cass Lake (located in the SE corner of the Che We building, 115 6th St, Cass Lake, MN 56633). Absentee voters must bring an acceptable ID (see list below) when voting in person. Ballots are not permitted to leave the Election Board office. The only exception is if there is a voter that is unable to vote in person (handicapped, elder, etc) Those voters are able to sign a form requesting assistance to vote and a minimum of two Election Board members will walk the ballot out and assist the voter.
Acceptable Identification for Voters
*Must have acceptable ID – No vouching
The forms of identification that may be used by a voter who appears at a polling place to vote on Election Day include:
- Official Valid Tribal Identification Card of Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe; or
- A current and valid photo identification card issued by the State of Minnesota or the United States government; or
- Military ID; or
- US Passport or US Passport Card
*A voter must have resided within that district for at least (30) days immediately preceding the election.
The forms acceptable to establish residency:
- An original or copy of a current utility bill; or
- An original or copy of a current bank statement; or
- An original or copy of current government check; or
- An original or copy of current paycheck; or
- An original or copy of a current other government document that shows the voters name and current address
For more information, including polling places, candidate essays and more, visit the 2018 Election Information page.