CASS LAKE, MN- The Leech Lake Tribal Council has extended the “Stay at Home Order” for Leech Lake Reservation residents until June 1st, 2020.
As many know, the executive order issued by Governor Tim Walz, which required State of Minnesota residents to stay at home expired on Monday, May 18, 2020.
The Tribal Council cited the effectiveness of the previous order in mitigating the spread of COVID-19 on the reservation and the rapid increase in confirmed cases in neighboring Itasca County as primary reasons for extending the order.
“The success of the mitigation efforts to date appear to have slowed the spread of COVID-19 as intended and there have not been significant infection clusters in or near the reservation; however, a recent increase in confirmed cases in Itasca County is evidence that there is still an imminent threat to the health and safety of the Leech Lake Reservation community posed by the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19.
While the State of Minnesota has decided that the risk of an increasing number of infections is outweighed by other concerns, the Leech Lake Reservation Business Committee must decide if a similar risk is appropriate for the unique circumstances of our rural community and the increased risk to many Leech Lake members.”
Previously established guidelines and recommendations will remain in effect. These include:
- All individuals residing or present within the exterior boundaries of the Leech Lake Indian Reservation are to remain home except while performing essential personal, familial, spiritual, or cultural activities necessary to sustain and protect life, practicing social distancing at all times
- All in-person gatherings of any number are prohibited except for members of a single household;
- Limit travel to the minimum necessary to gather essential household and medical supplies or treatment or to commute to work if in-person work is necessary
- Use appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) and social distance as much as possible. If traveling, use current safety measures.
Please protect the Leech Lake Reservation by respecting our extended stay at home order. If you must travel home to the Leech Lake Reservation, please take the necessary safety precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Current safety measures in place:
- Frequently wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. When soap and running water are unavailable, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol;
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with your hands;
- Wearing a mask is required in all common areas;
- Cover coughs and sneezes;
- Practice social distancing (at least 6 feet between people);
- Wipe down all frequently used surfaces after each use;
- Avoid entering another employee’s workspace (e.g., office);
- Stagger breaks and lunches, if practicable, to encourage social distancing.
Read the full resolution here: https://www.leechlakenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Covid19SHELTERresolutionEXTENDED_thru_June1.pdf