Federal/State elections take place Tuesday, November 6, 2018. Polling places are usually open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
See list of LLBO endorsed candidates below
Native American voting rates are among the lowest of all racial and ethnic groups in the U.S. Almost two out of five eligible Native Americans are not registered to vote. Even among registered Native voters, the turnout rate is 5 to 14 percentage points lower than that of other racial and ethnic groups. It is imperative that we stand up and make our voices heard in local, state and federal elections!
Registered Voters DO NOT need identification to cast a vote on Election Day!
If you haven’t registered Don’t Worry! You can still register and vote on Election Day by meeting the following requirements:
You must be:
- A U.S. citizen
- At least 18 years old on Election Day
- A resident of Minnesota for 20 days
- Finished with all parts of any felony sentence
Register on Election Day: Click for more information
**Leech Lake Tribal Enrollment will be offering free Tribal IDs to all LLBO Members from 8:00AM to 8:00PM at the Tribal Justice Center in Cass Lake***
You will need one of the following:
- ID with current name and address; or
- Valid Minnesota ID or Valid Tribal ID with name, address, photo and signature
- Photo ID AND a document with current name and address; or
- List of Approved photo IDs (The ID can be expired): Driver’s license, state ID or learner’s permit issued by any state | U.S. Passport | U.S. Military or Veteran ID | Tribal ID with name, signature and photo | Minnesota university, college or technical college ID | Minnesota high school ID
- Approved documents (Can be shown on electronic device): Bill, account or start-of-service statement due or dated within 30 days of the election. Includes: Phone, TV or internet | Solid waste, sewer, electric, gas or water | Banking or credit card | Rent or mortgage | Residential lease or rent agreement valid through Election Day | Current student fee statement
- Registered voter who can confirm your address
- Check your voter registration status
- Election Day Voting info
- Find your polling place
- View your sample ballot
- Get Help Voting
- Get Involved!
Don’t Forget! As long as you’re in line by 8 p.m., you can vote, even if you do not reach the front of the line until after 8 p.m.
Need a ride to the polls?
Dist III Rep. Leroy Faribanks will be coordinating drivers from the Tribal Government Headquarters on Election Day. Call 218-760-5850 to arrange a ride.
The Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe has endorsed the following candidates for office:
- U.S. Senator Amy Klobuchar
- U.S. Senator (Special) Tina Smith
- U.S. Representative (8th) Joe Radinovich
State Executive Offices
- Governor/Lt. Governor Tim Walz/Peggy Flanagan
- Attorney General Keith Ellison
- Secretary of State Steve Simon
- State Auditor Julie Blaha
- District 2A Michael Northbird
- District 5A John Persell
- District 42B Jamie Becker-Finn
The LLBO is not officially endorsing any candidate in the local races; however, we would like to point out our band/tribal/community members running in these local races
Cass Lake City Mayor (1 seat)
- Hershel Ogema
- Jerry Smith
Cass Lake City Council (2 seats)
- George “Chop” Donnell
Pike Bay Board (3 seats)
- Michael Reyes
- Reuben St. Cyr
- Ryan Erickson
Cass Lake-Bena School Board (3 seats)
- Angel Roberta Wind
- Jamie Mitchell
- Jody Ann Wind
- Lee Giffen
- Lenny Fineday
- Mark A. Reyes, Jr.
- Paula K. Morris
- Rebecca Graves
- Rick Haaland
Deer River School Board (3 seats)
- Kyle Fairbanks
- Pam Thompson
- Supreme Court Seat 2: Margaret Chutich
- Supreme Court Seat 5: Anne McKeig